Tarrasch is an extremely easy to use free chess program for Windows. Tarrasch comes with free chess engines, (now including Stockfish and the demo version of Houdini), so you get everything you need to enjoy computer chess with one simple free 4.5M download. Click here to download Tarrasch for Windows.
Tarrasch V3 Beta (for now also known as TarraschDb Beta) was released on July 11th, and updated on October 11th It is a larger 68M download, but it features a fresh new look including a new look resizable board, nice database facilities and a very useful 890K game database. This Beta is by far the most solid version of Tarrasch V3 yet. Tarrasch V3 will graduate from Beta status and replace Tarrasch V2 soon. Click here to download TarraschDb. Please note that Tarrasch V3 Beta still has pre-release status.
Tarrasch is designed to to make it as easy as possible to perform some basic chess activities;
- Play a game against a chess engine, with either color, from any position, with a time handicap if desired.
- Setup an arbitrary position and get the engine to analyse that position. View and play through the analysis provided by the engine.
- Create and edit .pgn files (standard chess documents). Enter variations easily (just make moves anywhere). Enter and edit comments easily (just click anywhere and start typing). Promote and demote variations and even comments (so comments can change to moves and vice-versa – great for picking text off a website).
And now with TarraschDb;
- Explore chess openings and navigate easily through large chess databases.
- Search chess databases for positions, patterns and material balances.
Feature requests are always welcome. If you really want your favourite feature now, consider contracting me to build you a special version of Tarrasch, it may be more affordable than you think!
Last Update: 12 October 2016